Finding the Right Partner
It’s the biggest investment most of us will ever make as well as a complex process that can be intimidating, especially if you are buying for the first time. Finding the right partner to guide you through the process is essential.
When you select me as your agent, we will work together to identify your “must haves” and wants, determine which properties best fit your requirements, and discuss options for financing your dreams. I’ll create customized searches designed specifically for you and provide immediate updates as new properties come onto the market. When you find your property “match”, I’ll guide you through the offer and contract process, provide you with real-time market analysis, and always look out for your needs and interests.
Do You Need a Real Estate Agent?
You may have already done some shopping around on your own. Perhaps you’ve checked out a few open houses or driven by property you found online. This seems easy, right?
While you can choose to buy on your own, it’s a huge investment to make without the guidance of an expert. If you don’t have your own real estate agent, you deal directly with the seller’s agent, who is legally obliged to work in the seller’s best interests – not yours
From contract negotiations to surveys to financing to inspections, any missed steps or errors can be extremely costly for you. So, most people choose to hire an experienced local agent to represent their interests and guide them through the buying process. In most cases, the seller pays the agent who brings the buyer, so having an expert by your side costs you nothing!
What to Look for in a Real Estate Agent
When buying a home or land, you want a real estate agent who...
- Takes the time to understand your needs and goals, so you have a true partner during your buying journey.
- Explains everything clearly and answer your questions, so you’re never in the dark.
- Knows how to find great properties in your price range.
- Will alert you to new listings quickly, so you get the jump on those opportunities.
- Will advise you on the best price to offer for the home you want.
- Will prepare and present the offer, and skillfully negotiate such things as price, conditions, closing dates, etc. so you get the best deal.
- Will recommend reputable home inspectors, movers, and other professionals you may need.
Not every real estate agent offers all of these services – I do.
Know How Much You Can Afford
An important early step in a successful purchase is understanding your buying power. You don’t want to fall in love with a property only to find out it’s outside your price range.
There are many options available to buyers, especially buyers of rural property. Conventional loans, FHA, VA, USDA, and Seller Financing are all options to consider, depending upon your qualifications and financial goals. Additionally, there are home and land-buying assistance programs that you may be eligible for, depending on your plans for your property and your financial assets. Discussing these options early in the buying process with your lender or financial planner will avoid disappointing surprises later.
Getting a Mortgage Pre-Approval is a critical step to complete before you begin shopping for property. This is a document from your bank or lender stating how much of a mortgage you are qualified for. There are two advantages to getting this pre-approval:
- It gives you peace of mind knowing you can afford the properties you see.
- It’s a sign to sellers that you are a serious, prepared buyer – which gives you the edge when making an offer. In fact, many sellers will require a pre-approval letter to accompany any offer.
You can arrange for a Mortgage Pre-Approval with your bank or lender, or by working with a good mortgage broker. If you need a broker or lender recommendation, please contact me.
Shopping For Properties
Before you make an offer, the most important part of my job is to make finding and viewing properties efficient and rewarding for you. Nothing is more frustrating than driving to a property only to discover that it is a poor match for your needs.
I work with you to ensure we select those properties that will best match your requirements. I make sure you don’t miss opportunities. When a desirable property suddenly comes on the market, you’re alerted. If we can’t schedule a visit immediately, I’ll preview properties on your behalf to ensure your time is not wasted.
I provide you with in-depth details about the properties you are considering so that you can make an informed decision. This includes price comparisons, surveys, deed restrictions, and other data. If you have questions, I get the answers for you.
When you find a property you like, I give you my honest, professional recommendation as to how well the home or land meets your needs and wants. My goal is to help you to make the buying decision that is best for you.
Determining Offer Price and Conditions
Once you find “the” property, you can hardly wait to call it your own. You may worry that the property will somehow slip through your fingers. My job as your real estate agent is to ensure you get that home – and at a price that works for you.
The first step is preparing the offer. This is the document I present to the seller that describes the price you’re offering as well as any conditions. Your offer must reflect the true market value of the property so the seller will take your offer seriously. I’ll ensure the price you offer is supported by market data, and I’ll work with the seller to negotiate a contract that meets your goals. Remember – my job is to look after your interests throughout the entire process!
How the Process Works
When you decide to make an offer, here’s what typically happens:
- I’ll suggest a price range that has the best chance of being accepted by the seller, without overpaying. Ultimately, it is your call on what to pay.
- We will discuss how much to offer in earnest money (your sign to the seller that you are a serious buyer) and due diligence. The due diligence period gives you the option to back out of the contract if you find a problem with the home or land during inspections.
- I’ll prepare the necessary documents and present your offer to the seller and his or her real estate agent.
- If the seller makes a counteroffer, I’ll help you to decide whether to modify your offer or walk away.
- I’ll communicate with you throughout the entire process. You’re never in the dark when you work with me.
- Once the seller agrees to a deal, I’ll lead you through the due diligence and closing processes. Then, the property is yours. Congratulations!
I realize that making an offer can seem like the nail-biting part of the process. It doesn’t have to be. I’ll be your partner and advocate every step of the way.
Getting to “Sold”!
Once the contract to purchase is signed, the race to the closing table begins. Now that you have committed, you need to make sure that there will be no surprises once you close on your new home. This is especially important when buying in North Carolina since the burden is on the buyer to identify problems and request the seller to make repairs. As your agent, you can rely on me to help you arrange inspections and tests to give you peace of mind about your big investment.
I’ll also work with you to complete the financing process for your new purchase. Getting a mortgage can be complex and overwhelming, but I’ll walk you through each step and answer your questions along the way.